Is this candy?? At the dental office!!!??? Yes, after your incredible visit we offer sugar free candy at our check out stations! Sugar free candy does have many benefits, including an increased salivary flow.
Saliva is very important as it helps your mouth in the following ways:
- It clears food products from teeth.
- It degrades bacterial cell walls and inhibits bacteria growth.
- It is vital in the remineralization process of restoring damaged tooth enamel.
- It acts as a buffer to the acids in your mouth.
- It facilitates with eating and speech due to its lubricating properties.
- Saliva is also used in several areas of diagnostic testing.
Another product that is also found in candy and gum that has dental benefits is xylitol. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that does not break down like sugar. It can help keep a neutral pH level in the mouth and also prevents bacteria from sticking to teeth. Typically after consuming a food product containing sugar, the acid attack on your teeth lasts about a half hour. Xylitol can help stop this attack.
Bacteria in your mouth are unable to digest xylitol and in its presence, their growth is greatly reduced. Where there is less bacteria, there is less acid, and therefore less decay.
The dental benefits of xylitol also include saliva stimulation. Saliva that has xylitol in it is more basic than saliva stimulated by other sugar products. When the pH of saliva is above 7, calcium and phosphate salts in saliva migrate into the weak parts of enamel and can help restore it. Therefore, soft, calcium-deficient enamel sites begin to harden again.